Sharkara Upperi Recipe – How to Make Sharkara Varatti with step wise pictures.
Sarkara upperi is a kerala authentic sweet recipe made using nendran. This raw banana sweet is a must have on any marriage functions.
I wanted to make this recipe long time back. But somehow it was put on a hold. Few days back we harvested our first banana bunch from our backyard banana tree. It is nice big nendran variety. So took a bunch of those banana and made a large batch of chips as well as this upperi. It turned out super delicious and perfect, i had to blog it.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Raw Banana / Raw Nendran Banana - 2
- Oil for deep frying
- Jaggery - ¾ cup
- Water - ¼ cup
- Dry Ginger Powder / Chukku podi - 1 tsp
- Cardamom Powder - 1 tsp
- Jeera Powder - ½ tsp
- Rice Flour - 1 tblsp
- Peel raw banana, cut it into half moons. Deep fry in medium heat oil till super crispy. It will take around 20 to 30 mins to get it crispy. Drain and set aside.
- Take jaggery and water in a sauce pan and boil till liquid. Strain it.
- Take it back in a pan. Boil till it gets syrupy.
- Add in raw banana pieces and coat it well. Cook it in the syrup till the banana is coated well.
- Now add in rice flour and mix well. Stir till it gets coated all over the banana pieces.
- Let it cool.
- Store in a air tight container for week.
- Serve and enjoy.
1)Take raw banana
2)Slit it gently on the skin alone and peel it off
4)Cut it in the middle
5)Cut it in this shape
7)Heat oil for deep frying
8)Fry in medium heat till the banana get nice and crispy
9)This process will take around 30 mins
10)Fry in medium heat oil
11)Drain and set aside
12)When you break open a fried piece. it will be crispy
13)Take jaggery in a pan
16)bring it to a boil
17)Cook till syrupy. Add cumin powder
18)Add in cardamom powder
19)Add in dry ginger powder
21)Add raw banana pieces
23)Coat it well.
24)Take it off the heat
25)Add rice flour
27)It will coat all the pieces beautifully and get dry
The post Sharkara Upperi Recipe – How to Make Sharkara Varatti appeared first on Yummy Tummy.