This was next meat free meal and it was absolutely delicious. The weather is so cold at the moment so it was so nice to have a comforting bowl of this to warm and fill myself up. The flavours are so comforting and the sweet potato adds a sweet note to the dish. The chickpeas add texture that’s why I added them at last minute so everything didn’t go mushy. I don’t think I could not have garam masala in my cupboard now.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 banana shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely grated
- 2 inch piece of ginger, finely grated
- 1 ½ tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala, split in half
- ½ tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp coconut powder
- Good pinch of salt
- Pinch fresh black pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- Tin of chickpeas, drained
- 260g bag of washed spinach
- 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp oil for frying
- In a large saucepan with a lid, heat the oil and butter until hot. Add the cumin seeds and fry for about a minute or until you hear them start to pop. Add the shallots and cook for 5 minutes until they have softened and are just starting to colour. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for another minute.
- Next add in the curry, cumin, turmeric and chili powder. Add half of the garam masala and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the sweet potato and give it a good stir so the chunks are coated. Tip in the tinned tomatoes along with a tin of water. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer, add in the coconut powder, salt, pepper, sugar and soy sauce. Pop on the lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and spinach replace the lid and simmer for another 5 minutes so the spinach wilts. Give it a stir, taste to see if seasoning needs adjusting. Serve and enjoy 😊