Ive never made a cherry pie.
Hell I dont even make pies!
But I wanted to make a cherry pie.
As always, theres always someone trying to talk me out of it because I had never made one before.
And since I DECIDED to make the pie,it was going to happen!
I researched recipes.
Found one I liked.
I bought the stuff.
Then the time came to put everything into action.
I read the recipe 100 times, but without practice, its still completely foreign.
I cooked the cherries to release all the juicy goodness!
I had noticed the recipe didnt have any salt in it, so I had to fix that. (The first Vida tweak)
So I mixed in the sugar, cornstarch & salt.
Because I hate the taste of almond extract, I replaced it with vanilla. (The second Vida tweak)
I tasted itAMAZING.
Mom tasted itHOLY SHIT! was her reaction.
And then I took it off the stove to let it cool.
The first Vida fuckup.
It wasnt thickening so I put it in the freezer. Which worked out pretty great because I needed to run to HEB to get the bananas for the banana pudding Im making today.
When I got home, it was still very, very loose.
I added flour. And then the filling turned PINK! (The second Vida fuckup)
So I told my mom, Well, if it doesnt work, Im just gonna have to go to HEB tomorrow to buy the stuff to try it again.
I looked at the recipe one more time.and realized I missed a crucial, crucial step!!!!!
I had to REHEAT the mixture for it to thicken!
So thats what I did. Put it back on the stove. And guess what??
It thickened up!!!
I threw it back in the freezer to cool down a bit, and put the first premade pie crust (dont judge!) in the glass pie plate.
Poured the filling into it.
Then I cut the second pie crust in decent looking strips.
And proceeded to make a basket weave pattern (I had to channel my inner 2nd grader for this part).
Threw her in the oven, and 50 minutes laterBOOM!
And even though its thicker than it should be, and isnt exactly like the picture in the recipe, its looks perfect to me!!! (And honestly, thats all the matters!)
And then I realized.we need to take life on with the same resilience & tenacity as I did with this pie.
If you want to do it, know that you can do it!
You have to make the DECISION to do it!
You have to STICK to the decision as if your life depended on it that means its non-negotiable!
Do your research!
Make the investment!
Add your personal spice!
And course correct when necessary!
NOTHING GOES EXACTLY AS PLANNED, BUT IT ALWAYS WORKS OUT WHEN YOU PUT IN THE WORK!
And if you are ready to put in the work, hit me up.
Schedule your Get Unstuck Call today.
And if you want MY cherry pie recipe, you can find it below:
Vidas Cherry Pie
(A Tweaked version from Foodnetwork.com)
4 cups tart cherries (fresh or frozen)
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 tbps cornstarch
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
favorite pie crust (or recipe) for 2 crust pie
t tbps sugar to sprinkle
- Place cherries in medium saucepan over medium heat. Cover.
- Stir occasionally until all the juices run out of cherries (the cherries will be very soft). Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl mix sugar, salt, & cornstarch
- Mix sugar mixture into cherry mixture until dissolved.
- Place saucepan back on medium heat, stirring constantly until sauce thickens. (VERY IMPORTANT!)
- Place in freezer for 15 minutes to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375
- Remove cherry mixture from freezer.
- Place bottom crust in an 8-9 pie plate (try not to use a deep dish pie plate if possible)
- Cut 1/2 strips out of the 2nd pie crust.
- Pour filling into bottom crust & even out with a spatula
- Doing a basket weave pattern, place pie crust strips over the top
- Crimp the edges together
- Sprinkle top crust with sugar
- Bake for 50 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting.