These are an absolute WINNER of a recipe – super handy for a make-ahead breakfast, and definitely a winter-warmer for those cold mornings when you’re rushing out the door! I can’t wait to see what you guys think of them!
Recipe (Serves 4)
- 3 tbsp of milk
- 200g of oats
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1.5 tsp of ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 4 squares of 70%+ dark chocolate
- 1 handful of raw nuts of choice, roughly chopped (walnuts and almonds work well!)
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tbsp of chia seeds
- 1 tbsp of flax seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C (fan oven). Line a square (about 1/2 inch deep) baking tray with tinfoil greased with a little olive oil (that’s what I do to stop the bake sticking!), or greaseproof paper.
- Take a large mixing bowl and combine your dry ingredients in it – oats, chia seeds, flax seeds and spices.
- In a smaller bowl, crack the eggs and stir them up using a fork. In a separate bowl, pop the bananas in and mash them until almost liquid-like in consistency.
- Add the beaten eggs to the bananas, then add this mixture to the larger bowl of dry ingredients. Stir everything up to combine.
- Add the milk to the mixture (feel free to add a little bit extra if needed!) and mix it in.
- Take the squares of dark chocolate and crack them up into small pieces, then add them to the batter, and the nuts too.
- Transfer the batter into the baking tin and smooth it out.
- Pop the tin into the oven for 25-30 minutes. Check it at 25 minutes, and if a fork or toothpick stuck into the centre comes out 99% clean, you’re good to go!
- Allow to cool for 20-30 minutes before slicing up! This makes 4 portions if you cut it into 4 squares, which you can then slice into bars for your breakfast! It keeps in the fridge for up to 4 days too! I loved eating this heated up with greek yoghurt and berries!
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try this one out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara :) x